Drupal Gardens gets beautiful image galleries and a new look in the August 20th update
by Chris Brookins
In the last Drupal Gardens survey of site builders, the #1 requested item was image galleries. We wanted Drupal Gardens' galleries to be built on Drupal 7's new files and fields architecture, and developed using the powerful media and styles modules.
After working on these modules to support galleries, we turned our efforts to finishing an easy to use Drupal 7 lightbox and media-based gallery module leveraging the fantastic ColorBox jQuery plug-in. After finalizing the bulk-upload process via a Drupal 7 port of the Plupload integration module, and performing a ton of testing and polish, Drupal Gardens' image galleries were ready for prime time. We hope you enjoy them -- and even more so we hope you'll contribute on drupal.org to extend these projects even further (the new gallery module will be posted there in a few days). Continue reading below for more information on Drupal Gardens' image galleries as well as other features new in this release.
All Galleries summary page
Re-arranging images within a Gallery
This Drupal Gardens release has the following new features:
- Updated all of DrupalGardens.com with a light, fresh design grounded in excellent typography.
- Added a new image gallery feature so every Drupal Gardens site can easily upload, manage and display professional-looking collections of images. The image gallery feature supports lightbox display of images, keyboard support to move between images, and auto-advancing slide shows. Bulk-upload multiple images at once from your computer by selecting groups of files or drag and drop. Or optionally select multiple images from your site's media library to add them at once to a gallery. Show thumbnails of multiple galleries on the 'All galleries' page with options to show total number of images and other info. Bulk edit all of the titles, tags, descriptions and license details for every image in your gallery at once by selecting 'Edit images.' And easily configure your individual galleries' look and feel, including:
- Set the number of images to show per row (image thumbnails will scale appropriately to fill the size of the region) or rows per page.
- Determine if visitors should be allowed to view/download the original size image. Also set an optional creative commons license for images.
- Determine if clicking a gallery image displays the image in a lightbox or on a page.
- Re-arrange your gallery images via drag and drop. Set which gallery image is the one used for the 'cover image' on the Galleries page by dragging it to be the 1st image in the gallery.
- Determine how titles, descriptions and license information appear in the lightbox or image page.
- Get complete control over the design of your gallery pages with the ThemeBuilder.
- When creating a new site, just turn on the Gallery feature to get started. More information on galleries can be found in the documentation.
- Choosing Structure > Blocks > Demonstrate block region now properly shows your theme's regions, providing an easy way to see where blocks can be placed.
- Updated all sites to Drupal 7 Alpha 6 including all Drupal 7 core changes through August 4th. For a complete list of what is new, see the raw CVS commit messages from July 12 to August 4.
- Fixed a bunch of bugs reported by our users. Thank you!
Don't have a Drupal Gardens site yet? A free site is a click away, so get one now!