"My job is to make Drupal awesome": meet Angie Byron - part 1
by Jeffrey A. McGuire
I recently sat down at Acquia HQ with my friend and colleague, Angela "webchick" Byron. She is a Drupal core co-maintainer, book author, Drupal Association board member, public speaker, equality advocate, and all-around powerhouse contributor. Angie works with Drupal Lead, Dries Buyteart, in the Acquia Office of the CTO (OCTO): "My job is to make Drupal awesome. We figure out together what's the biggest thing holding Drupal back right now, and whatever it is, we just tackle it."
This is part one of a two-part conversation. Here, we discuss the state of Drupal 8 as of spring 2013, what's gone into it so far, and what we can expect from the next major point release of Drupal.
We touch on many of the improvements and initiatives that are going to make Drupal 8 great:
- SPARK: improvements in the authoring experience for "victims of Drupal" :-)
- WSCCI - web services: "write once, publish to any channel"
- MOBILE: including responsive front end- and admin-themes in core
- HTML5: simplifying and future-friendlifying Drupal markup
- The Twig templating framework: replacing PHP Template Engine in Drupal 8
- Symfony integration: aka "proudly found elsewhere" and "getting off the island"
- Getting off the island: Larry Garfield challenges the Drupal community to learn from other projects and technologies
- "Symfony2 meets Drupal 8": Announcement by Fabien Potencier
- Drupal 8 and Symfony 2: notes by Dave Nugent from a talk by Fabien Potencier at DrupalCon Denver 2012
- Learning Symfony / Drupal 8: overview by chx
- You got Symfony in my Drupal 8!: Symfony components in Drupal 8, overview by Geoffrey Roberts at Cross(Functional)
- Drupal 8 and Symfony - All you need to rock!: Symfony training at DrupalCon in Portland 2013
- D8MI - multilingual initiative: including install-to-finish in your native language!
- VDC - Views in core: adding Drupal's most-used module, a powerful query-builder UI, to the core
- CMI - configuration management: improving staging and deployment in Drupal 8
- SCOTCH - blocks and layouts everywhere: unifying how pages are built in Drupal 8
- We also worry if we've forgotten something ...